Powertech Labs, Inc.
Position: Coatings Engineer – Generation Technology and Testing
Posted Date: October 13, 2017
Expiry Date: November 5, 2017
Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Coatings Engineer specializing in protective coatings to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey B.C.
The Applied Materials department offers engineering solutions through root cause failure analysis, welding engineering, coatings and corrosion consulting, and fitness-for-service analysis. We also provide standard and non-standard environment testing including thermal cycling, salt fog corrosion, UV condensation, pressurized hydrogen tensile testing, fatigue testing, and evaluation of self-lubricating bushings. A variety of value added projects for electric utilities, transportation industries, fabrication shops and certification agencies are also carried out by the Applied Materials department.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Generation Technology & Testing, the incumbent will work with the Senior Engineer and Senior Technologist on projects involving protective coatings systems. You will be expected to prepare budgets and proposals, schedule tests and inspections, collect and analyze test data, prepare test reports, prepare and/or review coating specifications and test plans, and provide consulting on corrosion mitigation practices, novel protective coatings systems and application techniques, and conduct coating system failure analysis. The majority of the work will involve laboratory and field duties, and project management of multi-faceted projects with a focus on coatings and corrosion in hydroelectric generation systems.
Under the direction of a senior engineer, the applicant will:
• Oversee and assist technologists involved in field and lab testing and inspection;
• Develop processes that will improve the efficiency of operations;
• Develop scheduling of tests and field work considering availability of technologist staff, equipment, and customer needs;
• Work with multiple contractors and clients at any given time;
• Participate in design of project methodology and prepare quotations and test reports;
• Maintain professional relationships with other departments, outside consultants, contractors and suppliers in order to gather and relay information and resolve issues of concern; and
• Oversee testing and inspection both in-house and in the field.
Education, Experience, Technical Skills Required
• Materials, metallurgical, or chemical engineering or equivalent degree recognized by universities in Canada required
• Minimum 6 years related experience required
• Experience in design, testing, application and specification of protective coatings systems for industrial environments
• The ideal candidate will have expertise in paint coatings or have worked as a Coatings Engineer in one or more of the following:
o Coating Consulting and Engineering
o Coating Manufacturing and R&D
o Industrial Coating Applicators
o Industrial Asset Management and Maintenance
o Marine and Shipbuilding
o Non-destructive Testing and Consulting
• NACE CIP2 certification or equivalent experience
• Knowledge of surface finishes, preparation requirements, application techniques and technologies, curing process, testing requirements, and pass/fail criteria.
• Knowledge of coating system varieties, compositions, properties, etc.
• Familiarity with internationally recognized testing, inspection, and design standards (NACE, ISO, ASTM, etc.)
• Eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC
• Additional experience in materials testing, failure analysis, welding, and/or non-destructive testing would be an asset
• Demonstrated rigor in modeling safety behaviours and safety awareness for working in laboratories and the field.
• Excellent customer service skills with ability to envision “walking in the customers’ shoes”
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent decision making capabilities
• Excellent detail-oriented, problem solving skills
• Good aptitude for marketing and client contacts
• Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
• Ability to lead and motivate team members
• Ability to complete engineering tasks independently
• Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions
• Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks
• Initiative and aptitude/adaptability to solve complex and varying challenges with minimal direction
• Focus on consistency and quality in all work activities
• Ability to optimally adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure
• Strong multitasking and organizational skills
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Job ID: CENG2017.18A
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package
based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: October 29, 2017
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at http://www.powertechlabs.com
Contact Info: To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at http://www.powertechlabs.com